If the mention of strategic planning causes your leadership team to start muttering about “useless meetings,” “wasted time,” and “nothing changing,” and if the rest of the team gets excited because the boss will be out of the office for a few days, perhaps a redesign of how you approach strategic planning is in order.
We have found that most strategic planning is doomed to fail (and most strategic initiatives do) because it lacks just five essential elements. This article provides an introduction, and articles over the coming weeks will take on each of the five in greater depth.
- Creating an inclusive reality
- Have a clear intention for your strategy
- Create a shared image of success
- Want your team to engage in your strategy? Give them a reason to care
- If your strategy requires your organization to grow, shouldn’t you as well?